Sunday, February 2, 2014

Opening a hornets nest


Most of the time you use that phrase, it's figurative but this time it was literal. Work on Fillmore has been slow the last two weeks, mainly because I did a real number on my back. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is but bending and twisting are not good. So my activities have been severely hampered. In the last week things have been improving with regular physio/acupuncture and exercises. Finally my back has been good enough to very carefully work.
Keeping myself in a good body position, I was able to continue to remove the roof vents and evaluate what danger lies beneath. And there was some danger beneath. Thankfully they were from days of yore and it was -16C so there were no wasps hanging out in the nests.

Next on the to-do list was bite the bullet and commit to the placement of the passenger chair. I knew that in order to do that I would have to really open the hornets nest and modify the wheel well. Consulting with some photos of other jobs from other Flxy owners I decided where I wanted the chair, how far over I would need to be and then....










Cut away! I had to allow for the air ride base, the riser and then the rotation of the chair if the passenger wanted to spin the seat around to face the crowd. The only bad part is after all the metal cutting, the sweet smell of the new wood is a bit tainted!

Test fit after mods looks good!
Now that I like the position, now I have to recreate the wheel well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...